T5 converters: Standards and Legalities
T8 to T5 retrofit products need to be tested to EN60598, and all installed components must comply with the relevant standards (according to VDE, a leading European test house). Conforming to EN60598 will ensure the product conforms to the Low Voltage Directive.
(Note: an EN standard is the same as a BSEN standard.)
Save It Easy T5 ballast conversion conforms to:
- EN (BSEN) 60598 Safety standard and Low Voltage Directive
EN (BSEN) 60598 also refers to the following standards which Save It Easy conforms to:
- EN (BSEN) 61347-1 Lamp control gear. General and safety requirements
- EN(BSEN)61347-2-3 Lamp control gear. Particular requirements for a.c. supplied electronic ballasts for fluorescent lamps
Without the above standards being conformed to then a company can’t legally put a CE mark on the product. To check if a company has these they either need to provide a detailed technical file or a certificate of compliance with the relevant unified standard (i.e. EN 60598).
Other standards for T5 retrofit
It is illegal to supply an electronic product that breaches the EMC directive.
Compliance with the following standards is required to show compliance with the EMC directive. Save It Easy energy efficient T8 to T5 retrofit lighting solution conforms to the following standards:
- EN (BSEN) 61547 EMC immunity requirements. Specification for equipment for general lighting purposes.
- EN (BSEN) 55015 Measurement of radio disturbance characteristics. Limits and methods in electrical lighting and similar equipment.
- EN (BSEN) 61000-3-2 Electromagnetic compatibility (EMC). Limits for harmonic current emissions (equipment input current less than 16 A per phase).EN (BSEN) 61000-3-3 Electromagnetic compatibility (EMC). Limits. Limitation of voltage changes, voltage fluctuations and flicker in public low-voltage supply systems, for equipment with rated current less than or equal to 16 A per phase and not subject to conditional connection.
To check that the above has been tested, please ask for the test reports which should be from an independent test house.
Save It Easy is also fully compliant with RoHs Directive 2002/95/EC. This standard is to ensure that no hazardous substance is used in the manufacturing of the product.